Learning Support at Northfields
At Northfields we recognise that all children have a right to a broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum. Each student is unique with individual needs and with this in mind, we aim to create a happy, educationally exciting and positive environment in which all students can develop to their full potential.
In order to meet our aims, Northfields strives to provide support students with specific learning difficulties or learning differences to help them succeed in Northfields’ challenging learning programmes. We undertake a rigorous system of monitoring children’s progress, supporting academic achievement and personal achievement by removing barriers to learning.
To help further with this process, we have introduced two new centres within our Teaching and Learning Department, namely our SEN (Special Educational Needs) and EAL (English as an Additional Language) Departments, run by two skilled coordinators.
Both departments aim to:
- Ensure that our curriculum is responsive to all children whatever their individual need
- Promote positive attitudes and individual confidence
- Ensure all children experience success
- Identify, assess, record and regularly review pupils’ special educational needs
- Encourage parents/guardians to be involved in planning and supporting at all stages of their child’s development